Thursday, May 13

Just Another Day... kinda

My transplant is quickly approaching - while I am not sitting in the clinic or the donor center this weekend, I will begin what they call mobilization.  For the next five days, I will be getting two shots per day that help stimulate bone marrow growth.

When the bone marrow gets too full with stem cells, the SC are forced to escape out into the blood - hence causing bone pain.  One of the nurses said the reason patients are in so much discomfort and pain is because the stem cells are exploding out of the marrow (nice visual right?).  As you can imagine the pain is imminent.

For those of you who have read previous entries I have talked about bone pain before and according to some professionals, this drug I am going on is the industrial strength rendition of my old, apparently sissy version.

So while this weekend is supposed to be beautiful and outdoor activities should be in the queue I have a hunch I might be in a Percocet induced stupor.

Monday I go in for my Hickman line placement and then Tuesday I am off to the Kraft Donor Center to surrender my stem cells.  I will keep you all posted on my progress but as I mentioned in my last post, we are hoping for two million stem cells in record time!

1 comment:

  1. woo woo go T go! I have faith in your stem cell surrending abilities!

    ReplyDelete