Tuesday, May 18

Surrender to the Machine

My traveling electronic shop is up and running again as I sit here at the Kraft Donor Center sporting my Bose headphones, listening to my iPod, blogging on my iBook and texting on my iPhone - well actually I think this sounds more like an Apple endorsement...

This is certainly an interesting experience, this blood center place. Currently there are six of us on my side of the floor that will go through harvest today - I have already started and can officially see the beginning of my stem cells in the collection bag. The setup of tubes and everything is pretty wild. They are using my new Hickman Line that I had put in yesterday which is yielding its own complications and pain. While my neck is throbbing from the surgery it is a pretty cool contraption - it has one line that takes the blood out and one line that puts it back in.

I must admit that I never realized how dark my blood is! It kind of reminds me of my adorable red Burberry patent flats... weird thought, I know.

So as I mentioned before I am sincerely hoping for two million stem cells in record time. According to my nurse, my stem cell count yesterday was around 20-something and they were expecting it at around five. Hopefully this means I can get all two million today - I should know more about my progress later on today.

The unfortunate thing about today is that we can't be disconnected from our machines - at all, for any circumstance.  This should make my overactive bladder very happy :)  My goal for today is to watch a few movies, work on B's new needlepoint belt and try and get some sleep since that was a bit difficult last night.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Below are some pictures of the machine and one of me with all my blood on the move.

1 comment: